The Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis is an island nation in the Caribbean. St. Kitts is an independent Commonwealth Realm and Queen Elizabeth the second is the head of state.

Located in the northern Leeward Islands southeast of Puerto Rico. The larger island is St. Kitts, with most of the population of 40,000, and the smaller Nevis is separated from it by a 2 mile channel.

St. Kitts and Nevis are uniquely situated in the lesser Antilles with close proximity to St. Barth’s, Anguilla, St. Marten, Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, Saba and Saint Eustatius. These islands are all within a 20-minute flight time, or few hours by powerboat or a day sail away.

Both of the islands offer beautiful and dramatic views of the surrounding islands, the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea with their crystal clear waters for swimming, diving, fishing and boating, and lush towering volcanic peaks with many varieties of flora and forna and fantastic hiking trails. There are also many beautiful secluded beaches with sand colours ranging from golden to pink to black, and off shore coral reefs and volcanic rocky coves for snorkeling and shelling. Such is the variety of landscape and beauty of our islands.

The housing market in St Kitts and Nevis provides opportunities for buying a house overseas. In fact St Kitts and Neivs was names 18th in the top 20 places to buy abroad by Amanda Lamb on Channel 4's A place in the sun .

Purchase procedure: To purchase property in St. Kitts and Nevis as a foreigner, you must obtain an Alien Land Holding License or you can purchase an Economic Citizenship. A lawyer is needed to obtain the Alien License and to complete the sale. Virtually all property in St. Kitts and Nevis is freehold, while properties in Frigate Bay, St. Kitts do not require the purchaser to obtain an Alien Land Holding License. The whole process can take from 2 to 4 months usually. 

Once a property has been found and a sales contract has been agreed upon, the the purchaser must apply for the Alien Land Holding License. Typically a 10% down payment is made and held in escrow during this process. When the Alien License is granted, 10% of the property value is due to the government to obtain the license.

Legal: Your appointed lawyer will conduct the title research and due diligence, which includes a land survey. This can take up to two weeks and will cost $350 for a copy of the survey. Your solicitor prepares the Memorandum of Transfer, then searches the title at the Land Registry.

Taxes and Fees: Recently enacted changes to the stamp duty require that the purchaser pay a 6% stamp duty upon purchase. There is another .2% of purchase price due for the Land Assurance fee. There is also a $7.20 Registration Fee. This is submitted to Inland Revenue Department prior to closing and takes about two weeks to complete. Lawyers’ fees are: first $25,000 of sale price 2.5%, second $25,000 2% and remainder is 1%.

There is no personal Income Tax or Inheritance Tax. House Tax ranges from US $800 to US $2,000 per annum.

Completion: The vendors solicitor prepares a linen copy of the new Certificate of Title and finalizes the Memorandum of Transfer.

The Memorandum of Transfer is submitted to Supreme Court Registry. The final registration of your property takes from 30-45 days to complete. You can also purchase land if you have an Economic Citizenship in St. Kitts and Nevis, but this is a completely different process

St Kitts and Nevis
Investors Buy Leads
Investors Sell Leads
Buying Worldwide
Cape Verde
New Zealand
Buying in Europe
Vendors, a Quick sale of your property
UK and Ireland


Disclaimer: This guide is for information only and should not be relied upon as definitive. Details have been obtained from various sources and although we have done everything possible to ensure that it is correct, we cannot accept responsibility for it or guarantee its accuracy. This is because processes and laws change frequently, and may also vary dependant upon personal circumstances. You are welcome to use the information provided, but should always obtain confirmation of specific details and get independent specialist and legal advice in the country that the information refers to.